Friday, January 10, 2014

Making a Map Look Older


After I started working on my "Map Wall" I didn't really like how "white" my maps looked.  I wanted a more "aged" look.  So I took them all down and started over.  The "aged look" can easily be achieved with a few simple steps.

1. Find a large surface that can easily be wiped down, because this will be messy, then lay your map out flat. 


 2.  You will need to make about 4 cups of coffee, depending on how many maps you want to age. Make the coffee extra dark.  I used about 4 scoops. You can also use instant coffee.  That would actually be easier, but I didn't have any on hand. After you make the coffee find a spray bottle ( I used an old windex bottle) and pour the coffee in the bottle.



3. Take the spray bottle and spray your map, making sure to cover it completely. Let the coffee set on the map for about 5 minutes.  Then take an old washcloth or towel and wipe down the map. 

4. After you have wiped it down just find a spot to let it dry, just make sure the surface is flat.  If you are in a hurry (like I always am) you can use a hair dryer to dry it.  Just make sure to use a low setting and DO NOT hold it too close to the paper map. 

On the Left is the finished "aged" map.  On the Right are maps that have not been aged yet.


Finished! Don't mind the dirty floors... that's one of the next projects.


1 comment:

Kathy said...

Very cool! I will have to try this too. Have a great weekend Cassy!